G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & GB95-2MT
Essex Skills Night - Nov-2018
Monday evening, 7pm November 19th 2018, was Essex Skills Night, run and hosted by the CARS Training Team. It does not matter whether you are a club member, or from other clubs, not licensed, or just interested - All are Welcome, and it is Free! This evening was the last one for the year as the hall holds it Xmas play on December. CARS also had a seasonal twist and it was a great opportunity to catch up with friends and have an enjoyable social evening.
- Training Team Free Xmas Raffle - All attendees were given a free ticket as they signed in at the door. The raffle was drawn at the end of the evening, just after the quiz. The prizes in the photos below were rather seasonal :-)
The Xmas raffle proved popular
- Radio: Whist Bob G4MDB did some radio and morse key demos, unfortunately Perry 2E0XPD was caught in traffic which prevented other activity on handheld/DMR
- D-Star Tom 2E0EUM had planned to demo this using the club IC5100. Sadly he could not attend due to a family bereavement
- Essex CW: Dean G4WQI and his team from Essex CW Club were demonstrating HF Morse on the IC756 Pro-III and Palstar-AT2K ATU
Dean G4WQI explaining and demonstrating CW
- Practicals: Foundation and Intermediate revision and practicals occurred in the Hawkins Room, assisted by Peter M0PSD and Jamie 2E0EYG. One of the photos shows a homemade VFO for an intermediate practical.
Training and Practicals
- Exams: Session EX3 had Foundation Exams taking place in our Exam room. Our congratulations to the two who passed - see here
- Subs & Sales: Pauline 2E0EUH was running the Club table for Membership Renewals, and a Table Top Sale/Bring and Buy. Some of the sale items drew quite a lot of interest and included some excellent condition classics
The Club table had some lovely classics for sale
and of course...
- The Quiz: A Fun Quiz with Murray G6JYB - which had some intriguing questions to wake up your grey matter and impart some knowledge!
One of the more pictorial Quiz questions!
Refreshments: Tea and coffee were on offer too, thanks to our team in the kitchen. This month was covered by Richard and Tracey, keeping customers happy with some excellent cake (which went quick) for the eary birds!
Do come and tell us what you would like to see at Skills Night...
We are here to help, you ask what you need to know.
NO question is silly question!. We have all been there, just ask?
Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and we will fit you in.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
As always, various members of CARS, and other local groups/clubs will be on hand to help with questions, as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page