G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & GB95-2MT
Essex Skills Night - Jan-2019
Monday evening, 7pm January 21st 2019, was Essex Skills Night, run and hosted by the CARS Training Team. It does not matter whether you are a club member, or from other clubs, not licensed, or just interested - All are Welcome, and it is Free!
The emphasis was on Training and Furthering the Skills of Radio Amateurs. Despite a cold evening there were plenty of attendees. As always the events are open to all, you do not need to be a member of the club. Do pop along to the next one.
- Training Team Free Raffle - The Club table welcomed arrivals/visitors, Membership Renewals and Course Enquiries. All attendees were given a free ticket as they signed in at the door.
Our lucky raffle winner!
- Subs & Enquiries: Pauline ran the Club table for signs-ins Membership Renewals, Course Enquiries and club merchandise. Next to it was....
- Sales: Table Top Sale/Bring and Buy. (Cost 10% of sales Max. £3.00)
Punters looking on as some early bargains prior to Canvey were on sale
- New Feature - The Post-it Board: This was tried for the first time for anyone with Radio-related or Antenna Problems. There is a wealth of expertise within the club and its members are ready to assist. Three written enquiries were received on the night, so it may well feature again!
- Antennas: Peter M0PSD had made up more 2m Slim Jim kits available for sale or assembly on the night. Below is Bob G4MDB showing a couple off.
2m Slim Jims were available to buy in kit form or build on the night
- Real Time Radio: With digital modes becoming more common, Murray had one of his Raspberry Pi's demonstrating indoor GPS reception for precision timing - one option for achieving the timing accuracy needed for decoding the latest JT/FT modes (that need to be within +/-1sec). The low-cost u-blox7 based models received up to 10 satellites inside the single-storey hall.
RasPi-3B GPS Screens with position, time, locator and reception info from the black G-Mouse GPS receiver
- Hands On: Tools and Soldering Irons were available for anyone for repairs. This also enabled some early hands-on for trainees...
- Training Practicals: Skills Night is an opportunity to get ahead with CARS Training Practicals. Soldering irons and meters were out on Intermediate ones - Enquiries welcome if you need this...
Practicals underway to saving time ahead of the Intermediate lectures
- Essex CW: Interested in Morse? - always willing to help - from beginners to the experienced. Dean G4WQI was present and had a LNR-MTR3B minitaure transciever from Mountain Toppers
Dean G4WQI with both full size radio kit and a Mountain Toppers QRP 3-band transceiver
and of course...
- The Quiz: A Fun Teaser Quiz with Murray G6JYB had another ten topical questions including this one. It is currently being commissioned after its launch last year.
Refreshments: Tea and coffee are on offer too, thanks to our team in the kitchen.
Tea, biccies and some nice homemade cake were on offer
Do come and tell us what you would like to see at Skills Night...
We are here to help, you ask what you need to know.
NO question is silly question!. We have all been there, just ask?
Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and we will fit you in.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
As always, various members of CARS, and other local groups/clubs will be on hand to help with questions, as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Next Event: Monday 18-Feb-2019
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page