G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & GB95-2MT
Essex Skills Night - Feb-2018
Monday evening, 7pm Feb 19th 2018, was Essex Skills Night, run and hosted by the CARS Training Team. Despite the cold weather, over 45 attended this popular event, with several demos in the main hall whilst training/practicals were hosted in the rear Hawkins room.
- EchoLink: Jim Salmon 2E0RMI was on hand to introduce and explain EchoLink, inc local node MB7IDA He also had a demo of online WebSDRs.
Jim 2E0RMI (photo by Trevor M5AKA)
- Practicals/Training tips: Peter M0PSD was hosting training candidates in the Hawkins room, ahead of the next CARS Intermediate Course which starts on Thu March-22
Intermediate Practicals in the rear Hawkins Room
- Digital Voice: A variety of demos from Andy G7TKK, Chris 2E0CUU and Keith G3WGE had dongles and access points for DV modes (D-Star, DMR, Fusion). Pictured below is Keith's Yaesu Fusion and a HRI-200 Wires-X adaptor connected to MB6IGK in Gillingham, Kent.
Keith G3WGE with Yaesu Fusion and Wires-X
- Digital Radio & TV: Murray was on hand to offer Freeview retune/antenna advice due to Sudbury and Crystal Palace frequency changes (700MHz clearance) if you missed his slides at the last meeting
- CARS: Our Membership Secretary, Pauline, was on hand and was pleased to receive more subs! CARS Merchandise/clothing was also on offer
- Badges: Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ had their engraver for custom callsign badges etc. Ideal if you have just passed your exam!
- Essex CW: The club had Rob M0KCP on hand to demo the mode and their table also had a nicely crafted Vibroplex Morse Key
Essex CW inc their Vibroplex key
- ThamesARG: Mark M0IEO was showing how a radio and AMU could modulate the brightness of a Light Bulb used a dummy load - most enlightening...
and of course...
- The Quiz: Another installment of our Famous Fun Quiz had a series of training and topical questions - thanks to Murray G6JYB
Refreshments: Myra and Ann again helped the evening along with an excellent cake and cuppa service - our thanks to our kitchen team
Do come and tell us what you would like to see at Skills Night...
We are here to help, you ask what you need to know.
NO question is silly question!. We have all been there, just ask?
Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and we will fit you in.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
As always, various members of CARS, and other local groups/clubs will be on hand to help with questions, as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Next Event: Monday 19-Mar-2018
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page