G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & GB95-2MT
Essex Skills Night - Mar-2018
Monday evening, 7pm March 19th 2018, was another busy Essex Skills Night, run and hosted by the CARS Training Team.
Attendees in the main hall
- Digital Radio: Chris Boon 2E0CUU brought a Laptop and a DV4mini access point (and did a quick DIY antenna) for Digital Voice
Chris with his DV Access point
- EchoLink: Jim Salmon 2E0RMI was there to demo EchoLink by radio and weblinks. Despite a faulty microphone, contacts included Doug KI7UKS in Arizona - and Simon Wilton G7HCD (ex-ERG) who nowadays lives in Canada
- Metering: Peter M0PSD was running training activities in the Hawkins room and had an intermediate orientated demo on the use of components and test meters
- More DV: Keith Law G3WGE had a demo of Yaesu System Fusion (YSF) and the Wires-X network. Perry Douglas M6XPD also had a DV demo - running Pi-Star (D-Star and DMR)
Perry's DV demo
- CARS: Membership Secretary Pauline M6XPK ran the club table covering Membership, Merchandise and Course Enquiries
- Badges: Regulars Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ brought their engraver for custom callsign badges. Perfect for your new M6 callsign...
Jim 2E0JTW busy engraving
- Essex CW: The group were on hand to assist Morse enthusiasts and have advice for new starters as well. At one point Paul G4PVM brought his Flex 6500 SDR which gave a very modern view. Also present was the club trophy - brought in for a new engraved badge...
The G4OAD Essex CW Trophy
- ThamesARG: Mark Sanderson M0IEO brought a VFO kit used as a Tuning exercise, as per the Intermediate Course Practical.
VFO kit demo by TARG
- The Quiz: The Quiz spot included some topical Intermediate questions from Murray G6JYB including:-
Intermediate Quiz Questions
- Pi & Cakes: Murray had been lucky to receive one of the first new 'anniversary' Raspberry Pi-3B+ models. Meanwhile more edible items were on offer too inc cakes from Ann - our thanks to our team in the kitchen
The latest Raspberry Pi - and Cakes!
Do come and tell us what you would like to see at Skills Night...
We are here to help, you ask what you need to know.
NO question is silly question!. We have all been there, just ask?
Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and we will fit you in.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
As always, various members of CARS, and other local groups/clubs will be on hand to help with questions, as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page