G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Essex Skills Night - Nov-2017
Monday evening, 7pm Nov 20th 2017, was the last 2017 series of Essex Skills Nights. Forty five people attended, with practical activities and SDRs proving to be particularly popular.
Activities on the night included:-
In summary quite a lot to see - and some very nice refreshments inc cakes on offer too, thanks to the team in the kitchen, where Myra and Ann et al were keeping customers happy!
- Practicals Insight: CARS Training manager Peter M0PSD had put in a terrific effort for 'An Insight into Foundation and Intermediate Practicals', This proved popular with several people doing aspects of Foundation or Intermediate Practicals...
- Foundation - Station Build, Dipole Tuning
- Intermediate - Mains Plug and Coax Connector assembly
Practicals in the rear Hawkins Room proved popular
- Slim Jims: Peter M0PSD had also brought a new feature based on an old favourite - CARS 2m Slim Jim Antenna Kits. The contents of the kit are illustrated below, including instructions and a jig to help make it. (Great value at just £5 - intended for home assembly, and also proved popular on the night...)
CARS 2m Slim Jim Antenna kit
- Radio: Murray G6JYB had a full variety of SDRs on show - from early kits to more current, so you can appreciate how they have evolved to now be a major part of modern amateur radio
SDR-IQ on 80m, with a close-up of Softrock-40 and Elektor SDRs
SDR evolution L-to-R: Softrock-40, Elektor-SDR, SDR-4+, Flex-1500 QRP Tx/Rx
- Essex CW: Skills regular ECW were also present with advice on morse. They also had a mystery SDR which turned out to be a low cost but neatly packaged Softrock from KM5H
Essex CW demo and their KM5H packaged Softrock SDR
- CARS: The club table had a demo of a 'shack in a case' along with XYL Pauline who had guides, membership/training info, club clothing, coax connectors, etc. Details of an April 2018 joint trip with TARG to Kempton Radio Rally were also available.
CARS display in the hall had both radio and membership items
- EchoLink: Jim Salmon 2E0RMI had set up an Echolink demo using ERGs MB7IDA node
Jim 2E0RMI explaining Echolink to visitors
- Badges: Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ brought their engraving machine for callsign badges, pens etc
Jim 2E0JTW busy at work
- Quiz: The quiz master had been out scouting new questions inc on 5m, DMR and April-2018 - along with another anagram (Idaho Ram)
- Data modes /Guides: Peter M0PSX set up a SSTV demo and was pleased to when it worked first time! Also on offer were EssexHam getting started guides/advice
Peter M0PSX checking his SSTV demo setup
Note: Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
What we are looking for...
Show/tell Demos Hands-on (setting up radios, modes, construction etc) Other Local clubs giving demos/info Newer amateurs looking for answers Getting started info for would-be amateurs
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and Peter M0PSX will fit you in
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
As always, various members of CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club and Essex Ham will be on hand to help with questions as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Next Event: Monday 15-Jan-2018
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page