G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & GB95-2MT
Essex Skills Night - Jan-2018
The first Essex Skills Night of the year on the 15th January proved to be popular with over 50 people in attendance. Amongst the highlights was Jim Salmon 2E0RMI managing to get an EchoLink contact with someone 46,000ft in the air over Iran on a flight to Dubai. At a rather basic level, Murray managed to show Full Licence holders what they have forgotten with the Fun Foundation Course Quiz.
EchoLink: Jim 2E0RMI with David M1DCJ – and the Quiz anagram question
Other activities included:-
- QSL/QRZ:A couple of tables for socialising proved popular and had advice/leaflets such as eQSL/QRZ.com
Oliver M0WAG, CARS QSL manager with Ricahrd G7OED & Dorothy M0LMR
- Practicals: In the Hawkins Room, Peter M0PSD (Training Manager) was in demonstrating how to solder a PL259 with his new piece of equipment (A Visualizer) as well as explaining to the Foundation candidates what to expect from the next Foundation Course.
Visual demo of a PL259
- Band Plans: The RSGB 2018 Band Plans feature changes at 5MHz and in VHF/UHF. Murray G6JYB was on hand to explain all.
- Badges: Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ had their engraver for custom callsign badges etc. Ideal if you have just passed your exam!
Jim & Glynis - with Norman M0FZW centre
- Clubs: Members from a variety of Essex clubs were present. Skills regular Essex CW was in abundance with a full range of keyers, they managed to gather a crowd all evening. Representatives from Thames ARG had their details and on hand to answer any questions - and chocolates for all who wanted one. There were also representatives from SEARS, Thurrock Acorns and LEFARS.
Club tables: Essex CW table - and Mark M0IEO with TARG club information
Refreshments: We would like to thank Myra and Ann in the Kitchen for the never-ending task of providing teas and coffees, with home-made cakes from Ann
Note: Skills does not happen by itself, so we are open to offers for demos etc from both CARS members and other clubs/amateurs.
Do come & tell us what you would like to see at Skills Night?
If you want a table for a demo do email us beforehand and we will fit you in
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike.
Next Event: Monday 19-Feb-2018
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
- Skills Night Main Page
- Training Main Page
- CARS Home Page