G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - May-2017
Monday evening, 7pm May 15th 2017, was another well-attended Essex Skills Night. Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX had added a variety of new activities for this popular event (now in its fourth year). The signing-in at Skills is managed by XYL Sarah M6PSK (the greeter!). Of course, do get in touch, if you have something to offer.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike. This is a FREE event and open to members, non-members and visitors - all are welcome and there's tea/coffee, too!
Activities for this month’s event included:
- Contests & Logging: Dean G4WQI was demonstrating the logging application N1MM - to Paul G4PVM in this instance...
- Datamodes: Following a request in the Skills Night Survey, Richard G7OED was running datamode demos. Unfortunately there wasnt much RTTY, but a rather more modern JT65 demo using WSJT-X software ran fine.
- EchoLink: Jim 2E0RMI was explaining how to get started on Echolink. MB7IDA has been restored by ERG on 145.3375 (access with 110.9 Hz CTCSS). The demo featured a rather nice replica speaker!
- Testing, Testing: Mike G4NVT brought along his new spectrum analyser a SignalHound USB-SA44. He had built another Colpitts oscillator on ~40MHz to demo it with
- Skills Quiz: Murray G6JYB had created another set of ten topical questions - just for fun! Try them yourself
- Essex CW Club: Skills regular Essex-CW were present to promote and encourage the Morse mode inc a nice selection of keys
- Getting Started: Advice and leaflets from Essex Ham were on display along with video demos. This month also featured info on High Altitude Balloon tracking.
- Auction: New for May 2017, there was an auction. This was run by David M1ECC and Mike G4NVT, shortly after the quiz. Unfortunately it didnt have many lots offered by others - but it added to the evenings variety.
Our thanks to the various members of CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club and Essex Ham as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Next Event: Monday 19-Jun-2017
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page