G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - Jun-2017
A very warm evening on Monday June 19th 2017, saw the final Essex Skills Night before the July/August summer break. Our thanks to Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX who organises this popular event. As per one of the quiz questions - this was the 39th event!
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike. This is a FREE event and open to members, non-members and visitors - all are welcome and there's tea/coffee, too!
Just over 40 attended on a warm evening
This was the last Skills Night before the Summer break. Some were waylaid by timing/weather so some demos were a bit thinner on the ground, but it was a nice social time all the same. Activities included:
- Testing, Testing: Mike G4NVT brought along his new spectrum analyser for testing bits and bobs - see last month for more techncial info on his latest SignalHound kit
- Getting Started: SSTV and SDR demos, advice and getting-started leaflets (including online-Foundation training) were all on show from Essex Ham. New this month was a a desk fam for a very welcome Cool-Ham facility
The 'cool' EssexHam tables
- Essex CW: The CW team had brought along some more classical radio kit - demonstrating you dont need anything too hi-tech for the classic mode
- Callsign badges and pens:James 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ brought their engraver for callsign badges or custom pens, while you wait
- Skills Quiz: Murray had prepped some topical and local questions on Essex club and repeater history, as well as a few associated with amateur licensing including this one, reflecting the review just launched of the exam syllabus:
A topical quiz question (photo by Trevor M5AKA)
- Auction: After the quiz, David M1ECC and Mike G4NVT ran their second auction. This had more variety than last month, but it still proved a little slow going - our thanks for trying!
Items ready for the auction
As always, various members of CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club and Essex Ham will be on hand to help with questions as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page