G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - Feb-2017
Monday evening, 7pm February 20th, was the second 2017 Essex Skills Night. Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX had manged to again get a good turnout for this popular event (now in its fourth year).
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike. This is a FREE event and open to members, non-members and visitors - all are welcome and there's tea/coffee, too!
Peter M0PSX with a mass QSO on GB3DA
- Construction: CARS Trainers Chris G0IPU and Alan M0IWZ were busy with both soldering and a morse decoder project
- Radio: Demos of Echolink as well as examples from EmmaToc (the GB95 2MT internet station)
- Testing:Mike G4NVT brought his Spectrum analyser for testing antennas and handhelds, VSWR testing measuring frequency and filters.
- Projects: Melvin 2E0DNS brought along his latest addition, a low capacitance meter for use with a digital multi-meter.
- Getting Started: Advice and leaflets from Essex Ham, the Raspberry Pi Zero playing the Essex Ham’s latest video, details on the online Foundation training course, plus the event’s wi-fi
- Data Modes Demo: Details on how to get started with JT65 and PSK31 if you want to give data a try
- Essex CW: Helping to promote and encourage the Morse mode, are also a Skills Regular. They had a small station setup - but a nice big new banner.
Essex CW with their new standup banner
- Callsign badges: Engraved callsign badges were on offer while you wait. Club Logos are now an option
Peters Badge collection and new engraver templates
- Quiz: The CARS quiz had its usual mix of topical radio questions, hosted by Chris G0IPU
- Cakes!: Not to mention, home-made cakes from Ann (Mrs 2E0RMI)
As always, various members of CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club and Essex Ham will be on hand to help with questions, as well as volunteers in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page