G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - Mar-2017
Monday evening, 7pm March 20th, is the next 2017 Essex Skills Night. Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX has been prepping this popular event (now in its fourth year), so do get in touch if you have something to offer.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike. This is a FREE event and open to members, non-members and visitors - all are welcome and there's tea/coffee, too!
The provisional menu for this month is:-
- Satellites: After a brief sabbatical, Steve M0SHQ returns to explain how to get started with working satellites, plus demonstrate the tool and tips of the trade
- Radio Programming – Got a radio that you want programmed for the local repeaters? Come and see Charlie M0PZT. Supported: MD-380/RT3 DMR (with latest codeplug), most Baofeng/Yaesu FM handhelds, plus 817/857/7800 if you bring the DC cable.
- Essex CW Club: Helping to promote and encourage the Morse mode, hopefully running a live HF station
- Broadcast Radio In a box: Jim 2E0RMI will bring along his new portable broadcast radio station, and may even try for a brief live broadcast
- Construction: CARS will have construction and advice in the rear Hawkins room
- Construction project: Melvin 2E0DNS has a sine wave oscillator that will also manage triangle waves. If all goes to plan, he’ll rebuild this oscillator at this month’s Essex Skills Night
- Ham Goodies will bring along a collection of essential items to buy, including aerial/coax adapters and /P goodies. Also on offer, 2m Slim-Jim kits (at a special Skills Night price!)
- Getting Started: Advice and leaflets from Essex Ham, the Raspberry Pi Zero playing the Essex Ham’s latest video, details of the online Foundation training course, plus the event’s wi-fi
- Other Demos: Data Modes (JT65, SSTV and PSK31), as well as Logging (HRD, PZTLog, uLog)
- Callsign badges: Get an engraved callsign badge while you wait
- Quiz: The CARS quiz will have another round of topical radio questions, hosted by Chris G0IPU
As always, members of CARS, Essex CW Club, Essex Ham, Essex RAYNET and the Essex Repeater Group, will be on hand to help with questions - Not to mention, home-made cakes from Ann (Mrs 2E0RMI), plus tea and coffee
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page