G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - Mar-2017
Monday evening, 20th March saw around fifty turn out for another popular Skills Night. Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX has been prepping this popular event (now in its fourth year), so do get in touch if you have something to offer.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike. This is a FREE event and open to members, non-members and visitors - all are welcome and there's tea/coffee, too!
The months activities included:-
- Satellites: After a brief sabbatical, Steve M0SHQ returned to explain how to get started with working satellites. Pictured left of Steve is William G8CYK
William G8CYK with Steve M0SHQ
- Classic Computers: Following his recent CARS talk, Andy G7TKK had more classics with him including Panasonic Toughbooks - which he demoed by dropping one! One of his machines had been retrofitted and upgraded with a Raspberry Pi
More classic machines - and newer Pi used as an internal upgrade
- Essex CW Club: Skills regular, Essex CW Club had an HF station setup to promote the mode - and this month were using classic (but very effective) Wharfedale DD1 headphones
Essex CW with some nice headphones
- Broadcast Radio In a box: Jim 2E0RMI brought along his new portable broadcast radio station. This was a fraction of the size used for GB95-2MT. In April, IMD is expected to be the next activity.
Broadcast Radio in a Box - Jim 2E0RMI's demo and latest kit
- Construction: CARS had the Hawkins Room busy with a variety of construction and advice. Alan M0IWZ's latest project is a VNA/SWR bridge pictured below - or click for his VNA Circuit Schematic, whilst Melvin 2E0DNS had a function generator that did sine and triangle waves.
Construction in the Hawkins Room
- Ham Goodies Charlie M0PZT brought along some of the latest essentials to buy, including aerial/coax adapters and /P goodies. 2m Slim-Jim kits were also available at a special Skills Night price! - he is also a whizz if you need a radio programmed for local FM or Digital repeaters
- Getting Started: Advice and the latest leaflets from Essex Ham, the Raspberry Pi Zero playing the Essex Ham’s latest video, details of the online Foundation training course. Nick M0NFE was also quite happy regarding an engagement...
Nick M0NFE with Essex Ham guides
- Callsign badges: Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ had their popular machine for engraved callsign badges - and this month had a new line - of custom engraved pens.
An engraved pen by Jim 2E0JTW
- Quiz: The CARS quiz was prepped and delivered just in time - and had another round of topical radio questions. Chris ran it and found the audience had a typical mix of knowledge and guesswork!
As always, members of CARS, Essex CW Club, Essex Ham, Essex RAYNET and the Essex Repeater Group, will be on hand to help with questions - Not to mention, home-made cakes from Ann (Mrs 2E0RMI), plus tea and coffee
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page