G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - Sep-2016
Monday September 19th saw quite a busy gathering for the first autumn 2016 Essex Skills Night, hosted by CARS at Danbury Village Hall. Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX had arranged some interesting topics/demos, a sample of which are illustrated below.
Skills is a great opportunity to get "hands-on" with aerials, datamodes, construction, our famous Quiz and more. A variety of "show and tell" tables with something for the new and experienced Ham alike. It cannot happen without vountary offers of demos etc, so if you feel inspired into contributing, please do contact Peter M0PSX.
Attendees listening to the intro and events news
Our thanks to the various representatives from CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club, Ham Goodies and Essex Ham who were on hand to help with questions and Peter M0PSX for the photos above, as well as Myra, David and Ann in the kitchen doing the vital tea/coffee and nibbles.
- D-Star: Steve M0SHQ had a D-Star demo of a compact Blue-Stack Digital Voice hotspot using portable power came from a PEBBLE™ Explorer power pack - in conjunction with an Icom-51 handheld and an Android smartphone app
Steve M0SHQ with a new DV Hotspot and D-Star demo
- Testing: Mike G4NVT brought his Spectrum analyser for testing antennas and handhelds, VSWR testing, measuring frequency and filters.
- DF: Roy G4JAC brought along a range of kit connected with Direction Finding, including transmitters, DF receivers. DF is a great outdoor activity and has various formats which vary from being pure fun to quite competitive - well worth a try. Roy has more online on at: www.forjac.co.uk/df/multitx/multiexp.html
DF display by Roy G4JAC
- Data Modes: Peter M0PSX had advice, leaflets and video from Essex Ham (inc the popular online Foundation training), and ran some popular sessions on data modes such as PSK31, JT65 etc
Peter M0PSX demonstrating data modes
- Construction: Chris G0IPU was on hand for help and advice on construction, soldering and in the picture below , assembling connectors and patch leads
Jim 2E0RMI with Chris G0IPU
- Callsign badges: James 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ brought their engraver which was a great opportunity for those wanting an engraved callsign badge while you wait
- Essex CW Club: are a regular attendee at Skills and were active helping to promote and encourage Morse - Rob M0KCP kit is pictured
Essex CW demo
- Quiz: The CARS quiz, hosted by Chris G0IPU had a mixed of pictorial and topical questions - including one on Tim Allen KK6OTD (of 'Galaxy Quest' fame) and this month's anagram of "CAT RAN RISING"
Next Event: Monday 17-Oct-2016
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page