G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
CARS Skills - November-2015
Once again, Skills Night on Monday the 16th of November proved very popular, with a record 93 people in attendance, beating the previous record by 20.
Aerials, datamodes, construction and more, featured on a variety of tables as well as being a big social occassion
The evenings activities included:
- Construction Peter M0PSD, Steve G4GHO and Alan M0IWZ were busy with 2m and 70cm Slim Jim antenna and 2 metre dipole construction and adjustment.
Graham G7JYD (foreground) being practical, with a happy Peter M0PSD et al
- CARS The CARS table enabled members to renew their membership and see updates on events. Chris G0IPU had the Foundation Dipole practical as a timed challenge for visitors.
A grinning Chris G0IPU with his dipole competition
- Radio Programming Charlie M0PZT had a busy time with datamodes, logging software and programming handhelds
- Satellites & D-Star Steve M0SHQ brought along his satellite kit as used for ISS and AO-85 FOX-1A contacts, as well as his D-Star hotspot
- Ferrites Testing ferrites were explained by Peter G0DZB, following on from a recent feature in Radcom
Peter G0DZB and his ferrites (inc a Chocolate one?!)
- Digital Voice Paul G7BHE was demonstrating both DMR and D-Star for anyone taking their first steps into the world of digital voice
- Essex CW Club Rob M0KCP had a QRP 20m demo to promote and encourage the Morse mode
- Callsign Badges Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ had their popular callsign badge engraver
- Essex Ham Advice and demos from Peter M0PSX included an SDR demo based on the low-cost Reatek dongle
- The Quiz Chris G0IPU had a nice selection of questions including some pictorial ones. This one (inspired by one in our Intermediate mock paper) managed to catch quite a few:-
Q: Why couldn't a Samoan Radio Amateur (5W prefix) have had a contact with you on the 30th December 2011?
A: Samoa skipped the 30th December 2011 as it crosses international dateline and changed time zone.
The crowd near its peak - and the signing in book
More reports - see this write up in the CARS Newsletter
Next Event: Monday 18-Jan-2016
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall Entrance is free, and the event is open to all.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page