G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
Skills Night - Jun-2016
Monday June 20th was another successful Essex Skills Night, hosted by CARS at Danbury Village Hall. Skills Coordinator Pete M0PSX had arranged some interesting topics/demos and folk as far as Suffolk also popped along.
Activities on the night included:-
Our thanks as always to all, including representatives from CARS, Essex RAYNET, Essex Repeater Group, Essex CW Club, Ham Goodies and Essex Ham as well as our colleagues in the kitchen doing the tea/coffee and nibbles.
- CARS: Membership & Merchandise, manned by Ray 2E0GVE
- Quiz: The CARS quiz, hosted by Chris G0IPU... - had a picture question...
Question-9: On what Frequency is Father Christmas?
- 144 MHz
- 433 MHz
- Once a year
- 25.12 MHz
- Kits and SMD: For the first time, Dave G4HUP from Suffolk brought along a selection of his kits (www.hupRF.com), Dave was joined by Sam G4DDK (UK Microwave Group) with a selection of wideband PCB antennas for scanners
Left to Right: David G4HUP, Dorothy M0LMR, Sam G4DDK
- Testing: Mike G4NVT brought his Spectrum analyser for testing antennas and handhelds, VSWR testing measuring frequency and filters checking.
- Essex CW Club: were present, helping to promote and encourage Morse
- Getting Started: Peter M0PSX had advice and data mode demos from Essex Ham
- Callsign Badges: Engraved callsign badges while you wait were available from JAmes 2E0JTW
- Satellites: Steve M0SHQ offered advice on how to contact ISS and satellites. The photo shows steve with his Elk dual-band 145/435 MHz Log Periodic Antenna
Steve M0SHQ with Elk satellite antenna
- Test equipment: Steve G4GHO had his antenna analyser, VNWA and S-parameter test set
- Wind Speed and Direction: Alan M0IWZ brought along a homebrew solution made from Arduino and cheap eBay parts - handy for those with masts and large antennas
Alan M0IWZ and his Wind Speed demo
Next Event: Monday 18-July-2016
Venue: Danbury Village Hall, CM3 4NQ
Skills Night takes place at the Danbury Village Hall – Entrance is free, and the event is open to all. Tea/coffee is also available.
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page