G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB100MWT & M2T
CARS Skills - July-2015
The July 2015 CARS Skills Night, hosted by the CARS Training Team, started at 7pm on Monday the 20th of July. Our acting Chairman, Chris G0IPU whose report is below, was a little late to see the start of the evening, but needless to say it was very well attended with over 60+ participants from all licence levels attending from all over Essex, and beyond - the furthest being Matt G7FQW, visiting from Rossendale, Lancashire.
The Activities on offer for the night were:-
I had the honour of signing up three new members to the Society, and look forward to seeing them at future club meetings.
- Antenna construction from Peter M0PSD ably assisted by Chris 2E0CUU, where 450 Ohm twin-feeder Slim Jim antennas for 2m or 70cm were on offer.
Two of the many members having a go at Slim Jim antenna construction
- Hand Held Radio Programming was well attended where Charlie M0PZT was on hand to help you program the latest Baofeng offerings along with the more common radios. It seemed that the preference was Yaesu Radios this month. Charlie also had an Ardunio CW keyer that he was working on.
- Essex CW Club were on hand with Rob M0KCP and Dean G4WQI. They were running a 20m CW station, demonstrating CW to interested onlookers. They hope to start the CW classes soon at Danbury Village Hall. There was a minor technical hitch that was overcome by making an antenna lead, this was sorted by the construction department, thanks to Peter M0PSD for the help.
Rob M0KCP on headphones with Essex CW Club
- Satellites were on offer as a display. Steve M0SHQ was very busy explaining the fine arts of satellite working. He also had some pictures sent from the ISS that he had received over the previous weekend.
- Badges - Jim 2E0JTW and Glynis 2E0CUQ were very busy making callsign badges, with lots of new callsigns being issued recently, due to the recent successful training course’s here at CARS, and some from other local clubs. Well done to all in you recent exam passes.
Jim 2E0JTW engraving badges
- Digital Voice - Paul G7BHE at short notice put on a digital voice (DV) over radio demonstration. Both D-Star and DMR were on display and Paul was on hand to answer questions on digital voice. If you missed Paul’s demo, I have it on good authority he will be back next month with this ever-growing new arm to the hobby.
- Quiz - The mind testing quiz was run by Clive G1EUC with questions from members submitted earlier in the week. If you would like to assist in the question department, please get in touch.
- Demos - Peter M0SPX had his “Essex Ham Quadcopter” and assorted demos of tech along with advice on the cost and where to get them. Demos included SSTV and Essex club activities on a repeating video.
And this was all helped along with the kitchen where David and Myra helped by Ann, were offering tea, coffee and cakes, making for another superb and enjotyable event.
Our thanks go to Peter M0SPX for the background organisation on this fantastic event. (and the photos above)
- Chris G0IPU
The next Skills Night takes place on Monday the 17th of August
Want to be notified of future events?
- subscribe to the free CARS Skills mailing list
Skills Night Main Page Training Main Page CARS Home Page