G0MWT, GX0MWT, GB5HF, GB5SM, GB95-2MT, GB100MWT, GB5RVA
International Marconi Day - 2018
Sat 21-Apr-2018, 10.30-4pm
Sandford Mill, CM2 6NY
"CARS Operating GX0MWT"
International Marconi Day commemorates Marconi's Birthday on 25th April 1874, and is held on the nearest Saturday. CARS was registered as one of the ~70 Award Stations and operated on CW and SSB as GX0MWT, with additional stations on VHF. An IMD award can be claimed if you work 15 award stations. This year the Sunday also had local education and outreach activity.
GX0MWT operates from Sandford Mill, north Chelmsford - home to much Marconi heritage
Saturday Apr-21: IMD
Gates opened at 09:30 and a sunny day saw 53 members from CARS, Essex-CW and TARG turn out for a combination of operating and a very nice barbeque!
- Main station operating SSB from the 2MT Hut (and some CW)
- CW team operating an additional station from the upstairs level
- Volunteer Operators are most welcome. Transmissions will be on a rotation basis, first come first served. Please put your names down for transmitting
- Weather permitting on the grass we will also have 2m-VHF with Jim 2E0RMI, DMR with Perry M6XPD and D-Star with Chris 2E0CUU
- BBQ will be provided at lunchtime! - but please provide you own drinks
IMD Operators inside the 2MT Hut and upstairs
Emergency Marconi Spark Transmitter MC8B - this one was not in use...
Outdoors / VHF/UHF
Three stations outside in the sun covered 2m-FM (inc GB3DA, Echolink) with Jim 2E0RMI, Bob G4MDB on DMR and the new club Icom 7100 on D-Star. The latter setup by Perry M6XPD and used to great effect via ERG GB7ZP repeater by a keen Dorothy M0LMR inc contacts with:-VE3EB Eric - Ontario PU2KCW Fabian - Brazil KG5TVX Brian - Texas G6RGA John - Eastbourne ZS6TB Joe - Pretoria KV4AN Steve - Richmond, Virginia M6OJF John - Middlesbrough
CARS had three outdoor stations: FM/Echolink, D-Star and DMR
The CARS Barbeque was popular! (photos by Peter M0PSD)
Sunday Apr-22: Invitation Day
Following on from IMD we returned on the Sunday showing our training schedule and equipment. This was an invitation-only day for Sandford Mill stakeholders – and gave us an opportunity to engage with other groups and discuss the future. More fine weather too! - Our thanks to all those who came along.
CARS Demos and Displays
2MT Tx Rebuild Project and Dame Nellie Melba Display look towards future centenaries
Radio and TV Displays
- Introduction to Sandford Mill, Chelmsford
- Sandford Mill Directions: Google Map
- IMD Organisers: GX4CRC / GB4IMD website
- Chelmsford: Visit Sandford Mill
Click here to go back to the TOP of this page.
To RETURN to the Sandford Mill Events Index - Click Here
To RETURN to CARS Home Page - Click Here
©Copyright CARS 2018